Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Snow DayS

Yes, that is plural. We got a snow blast last Thursday evening through Saturday afternoon. We measured around a foot in our yard, although some areas got even more. It was reportedly the biggest snowstorm to hit Denver in 100 years! Schools and many businesses were closed. Zack had the day off so we made the most of our snow day. We played with Banks and enjoyed watching him run around. He enjoyed the snow, to say the least...
He loved to eat the snow!
By late afternoon, we were both experiencing some cabin fever! We headed out on foot to Gaylord Street, our neighborhood restaurant and bar area. It is less than a mile away, but took some energy getting there through all of the snow. Since it was Happy Hour, we enjoyed a few mugs of Colorado's finest and some well deserved wings. The roads were maneuverable by that time, but we felt like we had to experience our first big snow and make the most of it. The white stuff was still coming down on Saturday, but we couldn't stay in. We ventured out again, but this time in the truck. The streets were cleared, but you would not believe the mounds of snow on the sides. Not the prettiest part of snowing. Of course our outing included FOOD! Zack surprised me with a trip to Sugarlicious, a yummy candy store that the owner's husband told us about (he worked at one of the breweries we toured). I have a huge sweet tooth, and Zack knows the way to my heart! After a few trips around the store, I settled on a piece of homemade toffee, a peanut butter chocolate goody and a caramel filled chocolate bite with sea salt on top (it was my fav). I had photos for you, but updated my iPhone yesterday, and somehow unsuccessfully (everything was backed up except my photos...sadness). Anywhoo, they were major yummy! Oh, and we have a favorite restaurant: Steuben's! Such a neat, retro place, and has great food. We went here for lunch on Saturday. Their sandwiches are SO incredible. Definitely will be going back there. I had photos of these too, but they were lost in the update as well :( But I did find this one online of their fries, which are served in a cute little can.

Back to the snow....it isn't going any where any time soon. And we got another inch or two between last night and today. I am alittle over it, there is just so much of it, although I do get to wear my cute snow boots a lot, haha (it's the little things!). And shoveling snow does give you a free workout. We are responsible for clearing the sidewalk that stretches in front of our house. There is even a law that states you have 24 hours to clear it, or you could face a fine. At first I thought it was completely ridiculous, but after walking around in the snow for a few days, one quickly realizes how important it is to have the sidewalks cleared. And, just getting to all of the roads in a timely manner has proved to be quite the challenge for the city (even one such as Denver), so I guess it is the least we can do. Zack cleared the sidewalk and our walkway to the house twice during the snowstorm, so I figured I could help out and do it today. I am serious when I say it was a workout! And I didn't shovel anywhere close to the amount he did. Lucky girl :)

Oh, and as for Super Bowl Sunday. I was sad to be missing out on the fun with our friends back in NC, but we were fortunate to be invited to our neighbors' house for a small party. I can't say it enough, the people of Denver are SO friendly!

I will leave you with another picture of Banks. Every time we let him out, he comes back in with a snow-covered nose. He is definitely enjoying the snow still. I wish I could get a video of him running around; he is so funny and spastic but just too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment